Objects of the Society
The objects of the Society are to:
- promote the practice of the profession of social work;
- provide an organisation through which social workers can develop their professional practice;
- establish, monitor and improve the practice standards of professional social workers,
- contribute to the development of social work knowledge;
- support activities that promote social justice; and
- provide professional development, training and support opportunities for workers in the human service and/or social welfare service industry.
Code of Ethics Download PDF
(downloadable pdf coming soon)
Dr Barbara Meddin – President
Chris Coopes – Vice President
Anette Bohm – Treasurer
Cindy Gorton – Membership Officer
Amanda Perlinski – General Member
Frankie Costello – General Member
Kirsty Gogol – General Member
Natalie McFarlane – General Member
Tori Cooke – General Member
Amanda Wallace – Executive Officer
Who We Are Brochure Download PDF
Until June 1989 social workers in WA were represented by the WA Branch of the Australian Association of Social Workers (Inc). However, in July 1989 this legal status was lost when the former WA Branch joined the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW), a company of limited liability.
This arrangement was intended to provide a unified structure to represent social workers at a national level, whilst also retaining the autonomy and unique character of the WA Branch.
A number of differences arose over a period of time between the WA Branch and the Canberra based National office of the AASW.
Some former members of the WA Branch believed that the interests of the social work profession in WA would be better served if a completely separate organisation was established that was wholly based and operated in this State.